Concealed Weapon FAQ

Concealed Weapon Permit FAQ

What will happen once I arrive?

First, one of our staff members will direct you to a computer station where you will complete an on-line application form. (Please note that you do not need to complete an application form in advance.) We will review your application for completeness. Then, we will take your photograph and electronically scan your fingerprints.

How long will it take to do this?

You should be able to complete the entire process in an hour or less.

How long will it take for FDACS to process my concealed weapon license application?

By law, FDACS has 90 days from the date your application is submitted to process it (Section 790.06, Florida Statutes). However, using our fast-track process, the wait is considerably shorter. You may always check on the status of your application by calling (850) 245-5691 and selecting option 1 or by clicking here.

Is your office responsible for deciding who is eligible to receive a concealed weapon license?

No, our office will simply be accepting applications, taking ID photos and fingerprinting applicants. The FDACS will continue to process all applications and make determinations regarding an applicant's eligibility for licensure.

Is my personal information still protected and exempt from public record if I apply in person at your office?

This convenience does not change the integrity of the concealed weapon license program. All personal identifying information of applicants and licensees will continue to be confidential and exempt from disclosure as public records. (Section 790.0601, Florida Statutes)

Can I renew my concealed weapon license at your office?

Yes. The FDACS will send your renewal application form with complete instructions on how to renew your license approximately 150 days prior to the expiration date of your license.

Can I change my address on my concealed weapon license at your office?

No, you will need to contact the FDACS directly to notify them of your change of address. Click here for more information.

Are there discounts for active or retired Florida law enforcement employees?

Yes, however, you must bring the following documentation to qualify for the reduced licensing fees.

If you are retired from a Florida law enforcement agency by which you were employed as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer, you must bring a copy of an official document that shows the date of your retirement and the name of the public agency from which you retired. Simply having been formerly employed at one time as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer is not sufficient. Note also that Florida law does not extend this fee exemption to federal law enforcement retirees or law enforcement retirees from other states.

You must bring an official letter on agency letterhead stating that you are currently employed with that agency as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer. The letter must be signed by the agency head, the agency's authorized representative, or the agency's personnel officer.

Our office is proud to assist with the expediting of Florida Concealed Weapon License applications for active military members and veterans.
Active military personnel who want to expedite their Florida Concealed Weapon License application should bring a copy of their Common Access Card or other form of official military identification to their appointment. We can also accept a copy of service members' current orders as proof of active duty status. Honorably discharged veterans should bring a copy of their DD 214 long form.